Wednesday 16 May 2012

Our Science Day. By Georgia

On Tuesday the 1st of May, Reremoana School had a science day. All the classes went to their selected activities, you had three to choose from. Only 15-25 minutes for each, then you rotate to your second choice and so on.



The first rotation I went to was colour confusion with Mrs Majurey in Room 6.  Firstly we talked about our five senses - smell, sight, touch, taste, hear.  Afterwards we headed straight into it.  The class each got a slip of paper with a table that had the colorus and flavours on it. We had to use our 5 senses to work out what each flavour of drink was.  The four juices were lemonade, orange, lime and pineapple.The drinks all had strange colours so that you couldn't only use your sight to guess what the flavour was. I found that using my smell and taste were the best senses to use for this task. We each got a mouthful of juice and had to determine which flavour it was.  You had to be careful not to swallow it all before you thought about it. Many people learnt that the hard way!

We then had to use the slip of paper and guess what we thought was correct and then see if we got it right afterwards. Surprisingly I got it all right. I really enjoyed doing this and learnt that you have to 'look' beyond what you can see and use your 5 senses to work things our with more depth.

The second rotation I did was invisible ink.  I was really astonished with how this experiment worked!

Firstly we got a blank piece of paper, one cotton bud and half a lemon each. We put the cotton bud in the lemon and we made sure that it was covered in juice. Then we wrote on a blank piece of paper and wrote a message with the cotton bud and lemon juice.  It was quite hard to see what you were writing so you had to keep track of where you were. You also had to constantly place the cotton bud in the lemon for more juice, otherwise you would keep running out and the cotton bud would get dry. We all wrote our name and whatever else we wanted to do. I wrote my name and 'I love you' underneath with a heart and did dots all over the page.

Once we had finished writing/drawing we lined up to iron our paper. Mrs Sentch would iron our whole paper and when she was finished what we wrote turned brown. This is because when heat is exposed to citric acid it reacts and burns, no smoke or anything! So that's how it turns that brownish colour.

I really enjoyed doing this and it was amazing to see how it worked.

The third rotation I did was gloop.  This rotation was really quick and easy.

Firstly we got just plain corn flour and water and mixed it.  I don't see how much easier it could get! We made a challenge to see who could make the biggest ball without it slipping through our fingers.  I'm not quite sure who won but it was definitely messy.

I really enjoyed this activity because it was messy and very exciting.

So over all it was a great experience to learn about science.  Especially with our science fair projects coming up and I'm actually really excited.  I loved learning about this and wish we had more time.  Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Georgia this was really informative. Thanks for sharing this. I couldn't be there so it was great to find out more.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments. Thanks for leaving one :)