Wednesday 29 August 2012

Netball, A life long hobby.


Netball, A life long hobby!

She was only sixteen years old. One of many siblings with a single parent managing the family. She was part of no rich household. She had great ability & a huge potential in sports including netball, basket-ball & athletics. In 2008 she competed throughout high levels of netball, basket-ball & athletics. She was also chosen to be apart of the Tall Ferns; which is New Zealand's junior female basket ball team. Throughout plenty of years of competing in high levels of a variety of sports' she spent her time attending Auckland Girls Grammar school in the city.


The following year of 2009 she was nominated to represent the New Zealand Under 21's netball squad.Throughout this journey she also played in the 2009 world youth netball championships across the Tasman, in Australia. This was the year this special person was discovered by New Zealand. Towards the end of 2009 she was then assigned to the Northern Mystics which is an ANZ netball championship squad. Her assignment to the Northern Mystics started in 2010. She played 5 matches throughout her debut season & was then nominated for the best young player of the year award.


Following on with her amazing award & debut season in 2010 she was selected to represent the Fast-Net Ferns in the 2010 world netball series across the world over in Liverpool, England. And their team finished up in first place overall. She'd spent most of her court time playing different positions all over the court when she finally & gracefully sunk into the defence end.
At the end of the 2011 ANZ championships she was also nominated as best young player that year again, this time representing the Northern Mystics.



She has gone through a lot of steps to get to where she is at now & had a pretty tough life; going from a   big family, solo parent & no rich household, to having a rich & wealthy life. Along with her solo parent, brothers & sisters all becoming truly proud of her.
It was a miracle.



Even though throughout the push off with her career she was flying around in all sorts of positions over the court, she has now officially sunk into the defence end since the decision was made in 2011. Also she has now been selected for the 2012/2013 Silver Ferns squad & is still assigned to the Northern Mystics again next year, with change of coach now ex-Silver Ferns coach becoming head coach of the Northern Mystics assigned for a year who is Ruith Aiken.

Kayla Cullen is a huge inspiration to me. She has great sporting ability & is a role model to young girls throughout the country that play netball, basket-ball & other sports. As a young kid playing sports & netball I look up to Kayla as someone who motivates me throughout my life in sports.


"I hated every minute of training but I said; 
don't quit, suffer now & live the rest of your life as a champion!"
-Muhammad Ali

Here are some links to the netball sites:





By Krisana Raututi 

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this Krisana. It was full of information and organised in a way that flowed well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing post Krisana. I liked the way you structured your ideas so that we didn't really know who you were describing until right at the end. I think the quote was a wonderful touch too. Do you agree with it?
    Mrs Clarke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mrs Clarke, I also enjoyed writing this blog post. Yes I do agree with it. What was your favorite part of the story?

      From Krisana

      Delete
  3. Hi Krisana,

    I really enjoyed reading this post not only because it's all about Netball, (My Favourite Sport)but it was also all about Kayla Cullen, One of My favourite netball players. I really liked your layout of your writing and pictures, also the quote at the end. I think I need to remember it for when I do my sports...

    I hated every minute of training but I said;
    don't quit, suffer now & live the rest of your life as a champion!

    From Jessica :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess,
      Thank you for the nice comment!!(: kayla Cullen is really cool isn't she?
      And yes I love that quote it always runs through my head whenever i'm doing sports!!

      From Sana xx

      Delete

We love getting comments. Thanks for leaving one :)